Fad diets are surging in popularity as individuals are looking for quick and easy ways to shed extra pounds. This video explores four popular fad diets and evaluate any claims associated with the diets.
This video was made by Health Science 4DM3 students: Beth Cohen, Prateik Murali, Saloni Patel and Vicky Verma.
Copyright McMaster University 2018.
For more informative and fun videos please check out McMaster University’s Demystifying Medicine Seminar Series Website: http://demystifyingmedicine.ca
1. Cross, J. (2013). Joe cross’ 3- day weekend juice cleanse. The Dr. Oz Show. Retrieved from http://www.doctoroz.com/article/joe-cross-3-day-weekend-juice-cleanse.
2. Norton, A. (2013) Detox diary. My 3-day juice cleanse. Lauren Conrad. Retrieved from https://laurenconrad.com/blog/2013/01/detox-diary-my-3-day-juice-cleanse-pros-cons-health-benefits/.
3. Blue Print. (2017). Balancing act cleanse. Blue Print. Retrieved from http://blueprint.com/balancing-act-cleanse/BPR+84010002.html.
4. Greenhouse Juice (2017). Gentle cleanse. Greenhouse Juice. Retrieved from https://greenhousejuice.com/products/gentle-cleanse.
5. Total Cleanse. (2018). Purify cleanse. Total Cleanse. Retrieved from https://www.totalcleanse.ca/collections/cleanse/products/purify-cleanse.
6. Langlois, K., Garriguet, D. (2011). Sugar consumption among Canadians of all ages. Statistics Canada, 22(3), 1-5.
7. World Health Organization. (2015). Sugars intake for adults and children. Geneva: World Health Organization. Retrieved fromhttp://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1.
8. Johnson, R.K. et al. (2009). Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health. Circulation, 120(11), 1011-1020.
9. Apfelbaum, M. et al. (1999). Long- term maintenance of weight loss after a very- low- calorie diet: A randomized blinded trial of the efficacy and tolerability of sibutramine. The American Journal of Medicine, 106(2), 179-184.
10. Tomiyama, A. et al. (2010). Low calorie dieting increases cortisol. Psychosomatic Medicine, 72(4), 357-364.
11. United States Department of Agriculture. (2018). Juicing 101: Nutrition tips for consumers. Nutrition.gov. Retrieved from https://www.nutrition.gov/subject/shopping-cooking-meal-planning/juicing-101.
12. Marcin, A., Butler, N. (2017). Vegan diet for weight loss: What you need to know. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/diet-and-weight-loss/vegan-diet-for-weight-loss#is-it-healthy
13. Lewis, A. (n.d.) 13 things that happen to your body when you eat a vegan diet. Reader’s digest. Retrieved from https://www.rd.com/health/healthy-eating/vegan-diet-health-benefits/1/
14. Castaneda, C., Charnley, J.M., Evans, W. J., Crim, M.C. (1995). Elderly women accomodate to a low- protein diet with losses of body mass, muscle function, and immune response. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 62(1), 30-39.
15. Patel, A. (2017). Vegetarian and vegan ‘meats’ are more popular than ever, but are they good for you? Global News. Retrieved from https://globalnews.ca/news/3850562/vegetarian-meat-healthy/.
16. Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Barnard, N.D., Scialli, A.R. (2007). A two- year randomized weight loss trial comparing a vegan diet to a more moderate low-fat diet. Obesity, 15(9), 2276-2281.
17. Barnard, N.D. (2006). A low-fat vegan diet improves glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in a randomized clinical trial in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 29(8), 1777-1783.
18. Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Davidson, C.R., Wingard, E.E., Wilcox, S., Frongillo, E.A. (2015). Comparative effectiveness of plant- based diets for weight loss: a randomized controlled trial of five different diets. Nutrition, 31(2), 350-358.
19. Mirch, M. C., McDuffie, J. R., Yanovski, S. Z., Schollnberger, M., Tanofsky-Kraff, M., Theim, K. R., … & Yanovski, J. A. (2006). Effects of binge eating on satiation, satiety, and energy intake of overweight children-. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 84(4), 732-738.
20. Johnson, J. B., Summer, W., Cutler, R. G., Martin, B., Hyun, D. H., Dixit, V. D., … & Carlson, O. (2007). Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 42(5), 665-674.