**PLEASE READ FOR ADDED INSIGHTS****
Sorry if I got excited in this video and offended people chatting feminism and patriarchy.
I also apologize if you’re offended by the idea of Health at Every Size. I will be doing a whole series on IE that I’m currently researching and writing, but I promise I will make extra sure to a balanced view of diets to come and also of the evidence. I want to offer some Coles Notes to clear some things up:
1) It’s HEALTH at every size, not HEALTHY. Meaning people come naturally in different sizes and shapes and that often yo-yo dieting / weight cycling drives those weights up and can cause a wide range of health issues. Learning to eat intuitively (stopping the yo-yo dieting) is a great way to nestle back into your natural healthy weight. I will be doing a full video on this over the weeks/months to come.
2) Intuitive eating does not mean EAT ALL THE THINGS. It has 10 tenants but starts by rejecting the diet mentality, and giving yourself PERMISSION to eat what you actually want. If you’ve been dieting all your life, typically you might experience feeling out of control and eating all of the foods that were forbidden. But soon the novelty wears off. They lose their allure. And you can start to learn hunger and fullness cues and soon incorporate gentle nutrition. So for example, by listening to my body (and not judging it when it wants something sweet), I learn that I feel best when I have protein for breakfast like eggs instead of pancakes. Pancakes are not forbidden so they’re not so enticing, and over time the day, week, month will look more balanced. It will eliminate the restrict and binge cycle which evidence suggests forces set point weight up.
3)I want you to know that if you’re pursuing weight loss, you’re welcome here. 100%!! I do not shame you. I support you. If you’re eating a certain diet, even if its restrictive, and this feels good to you- AMAZING. You do you. The reason I am a bit aggressive in the diet culture talk is that we are so engrained in it, it takes a lot of shouting and pointing it out, to actually SEE that some of these thing are a problem. So I support you in whatever journey you’re on, I just want to share that intentional weight loss is statistically not likely to result in a smaller body, and I instead focus on IE because (while I know its a lengthier/ not a quick fix process), it can result in less yo-yo dieting, and better health behaviours and outcomes.
4) Thin privilege doesn’t mean that one was just born thin (ie didn’t have to “work” for it). It means that society is set up in a way that is easier for “thin / medium size” people. Think not only clothes and seats but also medical attention! Research suggests that large body folks have worse medical attention than smaller bodied people which of course has implications for health outcomes.
5) I apologize for not saying “parents” and only saying mom. You’re 100% – all parents should be aware of these issues. That was a slip!
6) I know it seems like intuitive eating (IE) is not possible for you if you’ve been dieting for a long time or feel out of control/ like you cannot be trusted with food. Or that intuitive eating is just for people who are already “thin”. I totally understand how it feels unattainable based on your current experience with food. It’s not something you can just “do”, it will require a process and practice. For some clinical situations (eating disorders), some people may need to work w a R.D. with diet guidelines to help with weight restoration before they can fully learn IE. But even during this process, anyone can start to incorporate at least some tenants of intuitive eating. It is a long process for some people depending on how long they have been struggling in their relationship with food. But as you work through the principals, starting with rejecting the diet mentality, you can start to relearn hunger cues and incorporate gentle nutrition. We were all born intuitive eaters, I believe with enough practice and dedication, we can all get back there.
My book, The Mindful Glow Cookbook affiliate link: https://amzn.to/2nev0lf
My favourite intuitive eating books in my amazon #affiliate shop: https://www.amazon.ca/shop/abbeysharp?listId=3GYHLHLW2BB62
Eating Disorder Support LINK: https://nedic.ca/